Everyone's talking about it. How do you achieve happiness? Is it achievable? Once you are happy, how do you stay happy? If you start doing a search for happiness on the internet, there will be one item that comes up every single time: gratitude. We've all heard the phrase 'attitude of gratitude', but how many of us are living that? Below are ten different ways you can introduce gratitude into your life:
- Start a gratitude journal.
- Say thanks before meals.
- Starting a tradition at meals with your family where everyone says at least one thing they are thankful for in that day.
- Write some thank you notes.
- Find a gratitude partner and email, call or text eachother everyday to tell the other what you're thankful for.
- Leave small notes throughout your house in places where you are doing something very routine (e.g. laundry room, kitchen sink) that remind you to be thankful.
- Take a few minutes in meditation, in the shower, before you get out of bed or before you fall asleep and list the things you are thankful for today.
- Create a gratitude jar and fill it up with things you are thankful for. When you're feeling overwhelmed, depressed or unhappy, pull it out and read them.
- Take a look around the room you're in right now and be grateful for the items in it. Focus on what you have rather than what you don't.
- Start a gratitude chain on a social media site and get your friends involved.
These are just ten ways you introduce gratitude and subsequently, happiness into your life. Use the comments below to list even more ideas.
Karen Becker is an author, speaker and personal growth coach. She has a Master's Degree in Counseling and applies these skills when coaching clients. She has years of experience coaching clients in all areas of life: parenting, co-parenting after divorce and in personal growth/wellness. She can be reached at email@example.com.